What is personal information?
Personal information means information about an identifiable individual. This includes an individual’s name, home address and phone number, age, gender, marital or family status, an identifying number, financial information, educational history, etc.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect the personal information that we need for the purposes of providing the Services to our Account Holders and for purposes related to Remixed & Mashed’s business, including personal information needed to:
- Create and maintain an Account Holder account for you to use the Services;
- Fulfill requests for the Services or information;
- Process payments for the Services through a third-party payment processor;
- Provide customer service to Account Holders;
- Communicate with our Account Holders any notices, updates or changes about the Services;
- Communicate with our Account Holders about any news or blog posts related to Remixed & Mashed or the Services;
- Allow you to share your Account Holder profile to other Account Holders and Viewers;
- Allow you to communicate with us and with other Account Holders;
- Allow Account Holders and Viewers to find you by using the Website search function, if any;
- Administer contests or promotions;
- Offer new products and services;
- Measure and improve the effectiveness of our Services or our marketing endeavours;
- Tailor our online or Website offerings to your preferences;
- Keep track of your preferences and profile information by using cookies and other tracking technologies, and we may use another company to place cookies on your computer to collect non-personally identifiable information to compile aggregated statistics for us about visitors to our site;
- Improve our advertising and measurement systems so we can show you relevant ads on and off the Services and measure the effectiveness and reach of ads and services;
- Transfer anonymized personal information of our Account Holders to third parties to enable us to earn additional revenue streams, with such third parties including, but not limited to, advertisers. We will only transfer personal information in this manner, usually in aggregate, to third parties that is anonymized, i.e. none of this data transferred will identify you or can be traced back to you such as your name or email;
- Engage in social media activities;
- Meet government and regulatory requirements;
- Other purposes as required by law.
We normally collect information directly from our Account Holders or Viewers creating an Account Holder account. We may collect your information from other persons with your consent or as authorized by law.
We inform our Account Holders and Viewers, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information. However, we do not provide this notification when an Account Holder volunteers information for an obvious purpose (for example, producing credit card information to purchase premium Services when the information will be used only to process the payment).
We ask for consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information, except in specific circumstances where collection, use or disclosure without consent is authorized or required by law. As explained above, we may assume your consent in cases where you volunteer information for an obvious purpose.
We ask for your express consent for some purposes and may not be able to provide certain services, products, engage in certain activities with you or allow your participation in certain events or activities if you are unwilling to provide consent to the collection, use or disclosure of certain personal information. Where express consent is needed, we will normally ask you to provide your consent orally (by telephone), in writing (electronically by clicking a button).
You may withdraw your consent to the use and disclosure of personal information at any time, unless the personal information is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations. We will respect your decision, but we may not be able to provide you with certain of our Services if we do not have the necessary personal information.
We may collect, use or disclose your personal information without consent only as authorized by law. For example, we may not request consent when the collection, use or disclosure is reasonable for an investigation or legal proceeding, in an emergency that threatens life, health or safety, or when the personal information is from a publicly available source.
Remixed & Mashed Communications
You may change your email and contact preferences at any time by signing into your account and changing your email settings. Please be aware that you cannot opt out of receiving service communications from us while you are an Account Holder. You may, however, opt out of receiving promotional communications from us at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in any of those emails or by contacting us at email@example.com.
How do we use and disclose personal information?
We use and disclose your personal information only for the purposes for which the information was collected as described earlier under the section “What personal information do we collect?”, except as authorized by law. For example, we may use customer contact information to deliver the Services. The law also allows us to use that contact information for collecting a debt owed to our organization, should that be necessary.
If we wish to use or disclose your personal information for any new business purpose, we will ask for your consent.
How do we safeguard personal information?
We make every reasonable effort to ensure that your information is accurate and complete. We rely on Account Holders and Viewers to notify us if there is a change to their personal information that may affect their relationship with our organization. If you are aware of an error in our information about you, please let us know and we will correct it on request wherever possible.
In some cases, we may ask for a written request for correction.
We protect your personal information in a manner appropriate for the sensitivity of the information. We make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of personal information, as well as any unauthorized access to personal information.
We will notify the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta, without delay, of a security breach affecting personal information if it creates a real risk of significant harm to individuals.
We retain your personal information only as long as is reasonable to fulfil the purposes for which the information was collected or for legal or business purposes.
We render your personal information non-identifying, or destroy records containing personal information once the information is no longer needed.
We use appropriate security measures when destroying your personal information, including shredding paper records and permanently deleting electronic records.
Access to records containing personal information
Our Account Holders and Viewers have a right of access to their own personal information in a record that is in our custody or under our control, subject to some exceptions. For example, organizations are required under PIPA to refuse to provide access to information that would reveal personal information about another individual. Organizations are authorized under the Act to refuse access to personal information if disclosure would reveal confidential business information. Access may also be refused if the information is privileged or contained in mediation records.
If we refuse a request in whole or in part, we will provide the reasons for the refusal. In some cases where exceptions to access apply, we may withhold that information and provide you with the remainder of the record.
You may make a request for access to your personal information by writing to Remixed & Mashed’s designated privacy officer or any of Remixed & Mashed’s current executive officers. You must provide sufficient information in your request to allow us to identify the information you are seeking.
You may also request information about our use of your personal information and any disclosure of that information to persons outside our organization. You may also request a correction of an error or omission in your personal information.
We will respond to your request within 45 calendar days, unless an extension is granted. We may charge a reasonable fee to provide information, but not to make a correction. We will advise you of any fees that may apply before beginning to process your request.
Questions and complaints
If you have a question or concern about any collection, use or disclosure of personal information by Remixed & Mashed, or about a request for access to your own personal information, please contact the below individual in the first instance:
Remixed And Mashed Ltd.
12032 79 ST NW
Tel: +1 (780) 819-9990
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you should contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta:
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
#410, 9925 – 109 Street
Phone: +1 (780) 422-6860
Toll Free: 1-888-878-4044
Fax: (780) 422-5682